If you have been offered a free or semi-rental summer concession, you have the legal right to access the property from the beginning of your lease and many students decide to store items in the property until they return to begin their studies in September. If you wish to live in the accommodation during the summer months, you may be asked to pay full rent. Your student law referral service offers a free contract review service, so if you sign a new contract and you are not aware of the terms, we can explain them to you and report anything that seems unfair or that you need to respect. To access this service, please make an appointment with one of our qualified advisors through the BCUSU consulting centre. Please note that if you are staying in accommodation, homestay or with the owner of the property, you are not a « tenant » and should therefore not be required to sign a rental agreement. You can issue a room license. There are different types of leases and it is important to understand what type of lease you have. Shelter`s website provides more information on the different types of leases. In the rental agreement, there should also be: Some landlords/brokers may require a deposit that cannot go up to a week`s rent. This is to ensure security for the owner/agent as they remove property from the market while you perform checks. However, there are strict rules for holding deposits and unless you are responsible for the lease, no procedure (z.B. if you make false statements and you do not decide not to continue), the money must be refunded to you or (if you agree) on your rent.

Read the fine print of a lease. Most student contracts are valid for a fixed period of time. It is unlikely that there is a « Get Out » clause in your lease, so you have to be 100% sure that this is where you want to live and the people you want to live with. An owner or broker may consider releasing you if you have a suitable replacement to take over your room. In the past, caring landlords and brokers have released tenants if they have been laid off for health or financing reasons, or if they have left university – but they don`t need them if they don`t want to. If a landlord or broker does not release you, you are usually responsible for the rent for the remainder of the rental period. If you are a tenant and do not have a written lease, you have the right to require your landlord to declare in writing the basic terms of the lease.